Childhood Studies Majors
Common Career Paths

Health-Related Professions


Child Life Specialist:

Child life specialists are trained professionals with expertise in helping children and their families overcome life’s most challenging events that may overwhelm their natural ability to cope and heal such as chronic illness, hospitalization, the death of a loved one, or the aftermath of violent acts or natural disasters.    

General Requirements:

  • Bachelor’s degree; specialized coursework; prior related volunteer work; 600-hour clinical internship under the direct supervision of a certified Child Life Specialist (often available through a Master’s degree program).

For more information, see:


Occupational Therapist:

 Occupational therapists treat injured, ill, or disabled patients through the therapeutic use of everyday activities. Some occupational therapists specialize to work with children in educational or medical rehabilitation settings. They evaluate disabled children’s abilities, modify classroom equipment to accommodate children with disabilities, and help children participate in school activities. Therapists also may provide early intervention therapy to infants and toddlers who have, or are at risk of having, developmental delays.

 General Requirements:

  • Master’s degree (requiring specific coursework and volunteer or paid work as pre-reqs.) and state license.

 For more information, see:



For career paths such as Clinical Child Psychologist, School Counselor, Addictions Counselor – see:


Click here to visit the Rutgers-Camden Career Center