Childhood Studies at Rutgers–Camden
The Department of Childhood Studies puts the issues, concepts and debates that surround the study of children and childhoods at the center of its research and teaching missions.
Through a multidisciplinary approach, the Department of Childhood Studies aims both to theorize and historicize the figure of the Child and to situate the study of children and childhoods within contemporary cultural and global contexts.
The curriculum in the Department is multidisciplinary in scope and purpose and provides students with a strong background in both humanistic and social science perspectives on children and their representations. This approach will prepare students for careers in many areas including academics, public policy, social services, youth programming, and education
- Dr. Valerie Adams-Bass contributes to a new book, Untangling the Thread of Racism: A Primer for Pediatric Health Professionals.Dr. Adams-Bass is proud to share that an important new book to which she contributed is now available! Check out Untangling the Thread… continue reading
- Ph.D. Candidate Halle Singh was quoted in The Face Magazine within an article exploring girls’ digital culturesWith a glaring lack of spaces dedicated to teen girls outside the judgmental sheen of Instagram and Twitter, where the hell can they… continue reading
- Dr. Sarada Balagopalan co-moderated a conversation on ‘Teaching ‘Global Childhoods’ in Childhood Studies’ as part of the 30th Anniversary of the ChildhoodAs part of the 30th anniversary of the Childhood, Sarada Balagopalan co-moderated a conversation on ‘Teaching ‘Global Childhoods’ in Childhood Studies’ which can… continue reading
- Dr. Valerie Adams-Bass was interviewed about “How Equity-Minded School Districts Run Afterschool and Summer Programs” for the Wallace BlogWallace has some 50 active research studies across the foundation’s areas of arts, education leadership, and youth development. This blog is the second… continue reading
- Dr. Valerie Adams-Bass will be a guest speaker for the upcoming webinar So, You Want to Do a Podcast? on November 16 sponsored by the Society for Research in Child DevelopmentDr. Valerie Adams-Bass will be part of an upcoming webinar So, You Want to Do a Podcast? on November 16, 2023. Join three… continue reading
- Welcome Dr. Destiny CrockettThe Department of Childhood Studies is thrilled to welcome Dr. Destiny Crockett, our inaugural Mellon Humanities Postdoctoral Fellow in Childhood Studies and Racial… continue reading