Childhood Studies at Rutgers–Camden
The Department of Childhood Studies puts the issues, concepts and debates that surround the study of children and childhoods at the center of its research and teaching missions.
Through a multidisciplinary approach, the Department of Childhood Studies aims both to theorize and historicize the figure of the Child and to situate the study of children and childhoods within contemporary cultural and global contexts.
The curriculum in the Department is multidisciplinary in scope and purpose and provides students with a strong background in both humanistic and social science perspectives on children and their representations. This approach will prepare students for careers in many areas including academics, public policy, social services, youth programming, and education
- PhD Student Halle Singh and recent PhD graduate Diana García Gómez will be joining the faculty of Bridgewater State UniversityWe are thrilled to share that current PhD candidate Halle Singh and recent PhD graduate Diana García Gómez will both be joining the faculty of Bridgewater… continue reading
- PhD Student Elizabeth Nelson reviews The Disabled Child: Memoirs of a Normal FutureCongratulations to PhD student Elizabeth Nelson, who published a review of The Disabled Child: Memoirs of a Normal Future in the journal Children & Society…. continue reading
- 2023 Mellon Foundation Intern Jordan Ellzy accepts permanent position upon completing undergrad internshipWe are proud to report that 2023 Mellon Foundation Intern Jordan Ellzy was offered a permanent position upon completion of his Department of… continue reading
- Dr. Valerie Adams-Bass contributes to a new book, Untangling the Thread of Racism: A Primer for Pediatric Health Professionals.Dr. Adams-Bass is proud to share that an important new book to which she contributed is now available! Check out Untangling the Thread… continue reading
- Ph.D. Candidate Halle Singh was quoted in The Face Magazine within an article exploring girls’ digital culturesWith a glaring lack of spaces dedicated to teen girls outside the judgmental sheen of Instagram and Twitter, where the hell can they… continue reading
- Dr. Sarada Balagopalan co-moderated a conversation on ‘Teaching ‘Global Childhoods’ in Childhood Studies’ as part of the 30th Anniversary of the ChildhoodAs part of the 30th anniversary of the Childhood, Sarada Balagopalan co-moderated a conversation on ‘Teaching ‘Global Childhoods’ in Childhood Studies’ which can… continue reading