Located in historic Germantown, Philadelphia; founded in 2015; The Colored Girls Museum (TCGM) is a community-focused arts museum committed to sharing amplifying and celebrating those often-overlooked – ordinary Black women and girls. TCGM’s mission is to be a public ritual for the protection, praise, and grace of ordinary Black women and girls of the African diaspora. The museum’s vision Centers on Black women and girls, and seeks to keep them safe, affirmed, and able to move through the world freely.
About the Internship:
Interns will work hybrid work hours – onsite and remote. The Museum hours of operation are Tuesday through Friday, 10 – 4. Tours are scheduled by appointment Wednesday through Friday and weekends – 11:00 am – 3:00 pm. Specific Intern work schedules will be coordinated with the supervisor and determined by the project the intern is assigned to.
- Understanding the overall mission of TCGM, including the brand, customer, programming, and services provided by the museum.
- As assigned, Interns will work with TCGM curatorial, exhibition, and programming, and provides ideas to engage museum audiences.
- Accepts designated, museum-focus projects to research, propose ideas and solutions, and present final project during the internship.
- Work with the TCGM tours in particular tours for school-age children and will develop activities to engage youth in the TCGM touring experience.
- Learns and becomes proficient in internal software systems.
- Understand and assist with TCGM use of social media.
- Assists with TCGM development and implementation of archiving projects.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and people skills
- Organizational skills and time management skills
- Overall professionalism and customer-focus orientation
- Collaboration and the capacity to work with others.
- Technical proficiency with basic software apps