This directory introduces newcomers to the field of children and childhood studies with the current periodical literature. It also aims to assist scholars and other researchers from various disciplines in selecting appropriate journals as they seek to publish their work. Changes in URLs -and corresponding broken links- are outside of our control. Please email us with suggestions or to report broken links. Thank you very much for your help.
- Adoption Quarterly examines issues of child care, of adoption as viewed from a lifespan perspective, and of the psychological and social meanings of the word “family.” This international, multidisciplinary journal features conceptual and empirical work, commentaries, and book reviews from the fields of the social sciences, humanities, biological sciences, law, and social policy. Routledge. Quarterly.
- American Journal of Play is an interdisciplinary publication of The Strong Museum of Play. A forum for discussing the history, science, and culture of play. The Journal aims to increase awareness and understanding of the role of play in learning and human development and the ways in which play illuminates cultural history.
Bookbird: A Journal of International Children’s Literature communicates new ideas to the whole community of readers interested in children’s books. Published by the International Board on Books for Young People.
- Child Abuse and Neglect – The International Journal, official publication of the International Society for Prevention of Child Abuse and Neglect, provides an international, multidisciplinary forum on all aspects of child abuse and neglect including sexual abuse, with special emphasis on prevention and treatment. While contributions will primarily be from the fields of psychology, psychiatry, social work, medicine, nursing, law, law enforcement, legislation, education and anthropology, the journal aims to encourage the concerned lay individual and child-oriented advocate organizations to contribute. Elsevier Science. Monthly.
- Child: Care, Health and Development – This interdisciplinary journal contributes to the understanding of the factors, particularly social and environmental factors, which influence health and development. Aims at health promotion, improvement of care and treatment, particularly for children with physical, developmental, emotional and social problems. Blackwell Science. Bi-monthly.
- Child Development – Journal of the Society for Research in Child Development. Covers topics in child development from the fetal period through adolescence. Audience: researchers and practitioners, including child psychiatrists, clinical psychologists, psychiatric social workers, specialists in early childhood education, educational psychologists, and special education teachers. Blackwell. Bi-monthly.
- Child Development Abstracts & Bibliography – Reference source to the current literature related to the growth and development of children by the Society for Research in Child Development. Selections from about 275 English and foreign language journals, technical reports, and books that cover education and the biomedical and behavioral sciences. Blackwell. Tri-annually.
- Child Maltreatment – Journal of the American Professional Society on the Abuse of Children (APSAC) provides an interdisciplinary forum disseminating original research, information and technical innovations on child abuse and neglect. Sage. Quarterly.
- Child Psychiatry and Human Development – publishes research on diagnosis, assessment, treatment, epidemiology, development, advocacy, training, cultural factors, ethics, policy, and professional issues as related to clinical disorders in children, adolescents, and families. Kluwer. Quarterly.
- Child Psychology and Psychiatry Review – Published for the Association for Child Psychology and Psychiatry. Review includes studies of new theoretical developments, clinical case studies, descriptions of innovative techniques and new service developments. Cambridge Online. Quarterly.
- Child Welfare Review – an electronic journal which contains both links and articles related to child welfare. More than one hundred articles are organized into six categories: child abuse, foster care and adoption, welfare reform and children, child poverty and inequality, child advocacy, and values and children. To submit or recommend an article link contract: Duncan Lindsey, Editor, Child Welfare Review, School of Public Policy and Social Research, 3250 Public Policy Building, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California 90095-1656
- Childhood – A Global Journal of Child Research is a major interdisciplinary forum for research relating to children in contemporary global society that spans divisions between geographical regions, disciplines, social and cultural contexts, and applied and basic research. Published by Sage in association with the Norwegian Centre for Child Research. Quarterly.
- Childhood and Philosophy – journal of International Council for Philosophical Inquiry with Children dealing with issues of how children do philosophy and the history and current practices of philosophy with children.
- Childhood Education – journal of the Association for Childhood Education International (ACEI). Features articles about innovative classroom practices, vital issues affecting education, children and families; child growth and development theory; hands-on classroom activities; reviews of new children’s books, videos, software and professional resources. The annual volume includes an annual theme issue and an international theme issue. Bi-monthly.
Childhood in Africa is a peer reviewed journal specifically focused on issues and topics related to children in Africa, designed to foster a free exchange of ideas between African scholars and scholars around the world.
- Childhoods Today – is a new e-journal published, bi-annually in the United Kingdom.
- Children is an international open access journal dedicated to the streamlined yet scientifically rigorous dissemination of peer-reviewed science related to childhood health and disease in developed and developing countries
- Children & Society – Published by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.. informs all those who work with and for children – as practitioners, managers, researchers, teachers or concerned individuals – about significant developments and research findings as they affect the lives of children and young people. Topics include: Child health; Education; Children’s rights; Children and the courts; Children and young people with disabilities.
- Children, Youth and Environments (CYE) – a refereed journal and multidisciplinary, international network dedicated to improving the lives of young people. The journal targets researchers, policy makers and professionals and is guided by a distinguished Editorial Advisory Board. Access is free thanks to funding from the National Science Foundation and the University of Colorado.
Children’s Geographies is a peer-reviewed journal that provides an international forum to discuss issues that impact upon the geographical worlds of children and young people under the age of 25 and of their families.
- Children’s Health Care – Journal of the Association for the Care of Children’s Health. Audience: Researchers and practitioners interested in promoting health care policies, programs, and practices responsive to the psychosocial needs of children and their families. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc.
- Children’s Literature – published by the journal of the Children’s Literature Association, an organization of teachers, scholars, librarians, editors, writers, illustrators, and parents interested in encouraging the serious study of children’s literature.
- Children’s Literature Association Quarterly – consider articles on all aspects of children’s literature. CLAQ is published quarterly by the journal of the Children’s Literature Association, an organization of teachers, scholars, librarians, editors, writers, illustrators, and parents interested in encouraging the serious study of children’s literature.
- Children’s Literature in Education – features articles and interviews on noted children’s authors, incisive critiques of classic and contemporary writing for young readers, and original articles describing successful classroom reading projects. In addition, the journal offers timely reviews on a variety of reading-related topics for teachers and teachers-in-training, librarians, writers, and interested parents. Kluwer. Quarterly.
Children’s Technology and Engineering is a dynamic, practical journal for anyone interested in technological literacy in Grades K-6.
- Clinical Child Psychology and Psychiatry – focuses on clinical and therapeutic aspects of child and adolescent psychology and psychiatry. Sage. Quarterly.
– D –
- Developmental Psychology – publishes articles about human development across the life span. Field research, cross-cultural studies, research on gender and ethnicity, and research on other socially important topics are especially welcome. American Psychological Association. Published bimonthly.
– E –
- Early Childhood Education Journal – for educators and child care providers. Covers curriculum, child care programs, administration, staff development, family-school relationships, equity issues, multicultural units, health nutrition, facilities, special needs, employer-sponsored care, infant/toddler programs, child development, advocacy, as well as articles on trends, policies, and practices. Kluwer. Quarterly.
- Family Matters – research journal of the Australian Institute of Family Studies. Contains the latest research from Australia’s social scientists, social policy analysts, service provider and research agencies. 3x/year.
- The Future of Children – published three times a year by The David and Lucile Packard Foundation, Los Altos, CA. The Future of Children’s purpose is to disseminate information on major issues related to children’s well-being.
– G –
- Girlhood is a peer-reviewed journal providing a forum for the critical discussion of girlhood from a variety of disciplinary perspectives, and for the dissemination of current research and reflections on girls’ lives to a broad, cross-disciplinary audience of scholars, researchers, practitioners in the fields of education, social service and health care and policy makers.
- Global Studies of Childhood provides an opportunity for researchers, university and college students and professionals who are interested in issues associated with childhood in education, family, and community contexts from a global perspective to present, share and discuss their work. GSC aims to present opportunities for scholars and emerging researchers to interrogate the ways in which globalization and new global perspectives impact on children’s life experiences.
- History of Education & Children’s Literature (HECL) is an electronic journal published out of Italy (the site can be viewed in Italian or English).
- Infant and Child Development publishes interdisciplinary, empirical, theoretical and methodological papers dealing with psychological development during infancy and childhood up to and including adolescence. John Wiley & Sons.
- International Journal of Child-Computer Interaction serves as a forum to communicate original, high-quality research in child-computer interaction and interaction design and children.
- The International Journal of Children’s Rights reflects the perspectives of a broad range of disciplines and contribute to a greater understanding of children’s rights and their impact on the concept and development of childhood.
- Jeunesse: Young People, Texts, Cultures is an interdisciplinary, refereed academic journal whose mandate is to publish research on, and to provide a forum for discussion about, cultural productions for, by, and about young people. Especially interested in the cultural functions and representations of “the child,” including children’s and young adult literature and media; young people’s material culture, including toys; digital culture and young people; historical and contemporary constructions, functions, and roles of “the child” and adolescents; and literature, art, and films by children and young adults.
- Journal for the Education of the Gifted – is an internationally distributed journal committed to the analysis and communication of knowledge and research on the gifted and talented.
- Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology – brings together the latest research on psychopathology in childhood and adolescence with an emphasis on empirical studies of childhood disorders (the disruptive behavior disorders, depression, anxiety, and pervasive developmental disorders). Studies highlighting risk and protective factors, the ecology and correlates of children’s behavior problems, and advances in prevention and treatment are featured.
- Journal of Adolescence is an international, broad based, cross-disciplinary journal that addresses issues of professional and academic importance concerning development between puberty and the attainment of adult status within society.
- Journal of Adolescent Research uses an interdisciplinary approach to broaden your perspective on adolescent development. The editorial board and reviewers for the journal represent over 30 disciplines, providing a unique and broad perspective on the nature of adolescent development. Six times a year: January, April, May, July, October, November.
- Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy – is a peer-reviewed professional journal that is intended as an open forum for the field of literacy education. Its goals are to encourage innovative ways of teaching and studying literacy and to address the problems and issues faced by educators in rapidly changing cultural, economic, and social contexts. Published eight times a year.
- Journal of Applied Research on Children is an open-access and peer-reviewed online journal that is uniquely focused on the needs of children through a holistic prism. Focused on interdisciplinary research that is linked to practical, evidenced-based policy solutions for children’s issues, JARC serves to inform legislative and policy decisions, as well as existing and innovative practice models.
- Journal of Child & Adolescent Group Therapy – addresses the whole spectrum of professional issues relating to juvenile and parent group treatment. Contributors examine current data from group treatment in various settings, such as in-patient and out-patient hospitals, residential treatment centers, community-based mental health facilities, social agencies, and academic institutions. Quarterly.
- Journal of Child & Family Studies – is an international forum for topical issues pertaining to the mental well-being of children, adolescents, and their families. Quarterly.
- Journal of Child Language – Cambridge Online publishes articles on the scientific study of language behaviour in children. Approach: International and interdisciplinary (psychology, linguistics, cognitive science and anthropology). Published in February, June and October.
- Journal of Child Sexual Abuse – research, treatment & program innovations for victims, survivors & offenders. Quarterly.
- Journal of Childhood and Religion – online journal dealing with a wide range of theological, ethical, historical, biblical, sociological, anthropological, and psychological scholarship on childhood and religion.
- The Journal of Children’s Literature is a refereed journal devoted to teaching and scholarship in the field of children’s literature. It is the product of the Children’s Literature Assembly of NCTE.
- Journal of Clinical Child & Adolescent Psychology
- Journal of Early Adolescence– provides a premier forum for research including adolescents from 10 to 15 years of age. Bringing together leading researchers, scholars, and professionals, the Journal of Early Adolescence bridges theory, research, and practice to explore issues dealing with the care, education, and development of today’s young adolescents. Quarterly.
- Journal of Early Childhood Literacy is a peer-reviewed international quarterly journal. The main emphasis in the journal is on papers researching issues related to the nature, function and use of literacy in early childhood.
- Journal of Early Childhood Research is a peer reviewed journal that provides an international forum for childhood research, bridging cross-disciplinary areas and applying theory and research within the professional community. This reflects the world-wide growth in theoretical and empirical research on learning and development in early childhood and the impact of this on provision.
- Journal of Educational Psychology – publishes original, primary psychological research pertaining to education across all ages and educational levels. American Psychological Association. Published quarterly, beginning in March.
- Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, & Cognition – publishes original experimental studies on basic processes of cognition, learning, memory, imagery, concept formation, problem solving, decision making, thinking, reading, and language processing. Bimonthly.
- Journal of LGBT Youth is the interdisciplinary forum dedicated to improving the quality of life for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning youth. This quarterly journal presents peer-reviewed scholarly articles, practitioner-based essays, policy analyses, and revealing narratives from young people.
- Journal of Pediatric Psychology – publishes papers on a wide variety of topics exploring the inter-relationship between the psychological and physical well-being of children, adolescents and families. Quarterly.
- Journal of Research in Childhood Education – journal of the Association for Childhood Education International (ACEI). publishes reports of empirical research, theoretical articles, ethnographic and case studies, cross-cultural studies and studies addressing international concerns, participant observation studies, and studies deriving data collected from naturalistic settings. Bi-annual.
- Journal of the History of Childhood and Youth
- Journal of Urban Youth Culture – offers concerned scholars the opportunity to contribute to our awareness and understanding of urban youth development. The overarching goal of this Journal is to provide a place where people who care about the future these young people face can share fresh ideas and insights.
- Language Learning – A Journal of Research in Language Studies is a scientific journal dedicated to the understanding of language learning broadly defined. It publishes research articles that systematically apply methods of inquiry from disciplines including psychology, linguistics, cognitive science, educational inquiry, neuroscience, ethnography, sociolinguistics, sociology and semiotics. 5 issues/year.
- The Lion and the Unicorn is a theme- and genre-centered journal of international scope committed to a serious, ongoing discussion of literature for children.
- The Looking Glass: New Perspectives on Children’s Literature is an electronic journal about children’s literature that combines an interest in the traditional with an eye to the modern.
- Monographs of the Society for Research in Child Development – Since 1935 this series has presented in-depth research studies and significant findings in child development and its related disciplines. Each issue consists of a single study or a group of papers on a single theme, accompanied usually by commentary and discussion. 3-4 issues annually.
- New Review of Children’s Literature and Librarianship is multidisciplinary in nature, providing opportunities for the ‘pure’ discussion of children’s literature, and of issues relating to one of the key places in which to find such literature—libraries for young people
- Questions: Philosophy for Young People is a unique forum for the philosophical questions – and answers – of young people and their teachers. Each topical issue contains philosophical discussions, drawings, philosophical writing by students.
- Red Feather: An International Journal of Children’s Visual Culture is an online, international, interdisciplinary, peer-reviewed journal that provides a forum for scholars and professionals to interrogate representations of children in film, television, Cyberspace, video games, photography, art, or any other visual medium where the image of the child is featured.
- The Unjournal of Children’s Literature is an online open-access platform built to play with the traditional concept of a journal. The brainchild of the SDSU ChildLit Grad Student Association, The Unjournal was established in the fall of 2012 to create an active and supportive community of peers eager about the limitless facets of the field of Children’s Literature.
- The Wheelock Journal of Children, Families, and Social Change is an online, open-access, interdisciplinary forum for substantive conversations about understanding and improving the lives of children and families throughout the world. Our scope is unique and broad: peer-reviewed scholarly articles as well as essays by policy makers, advocates, educators, NGOs, and practitioners.